Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pews or Shoes?

My mind works differently than most others. It is completely random a great deal of the time. My brain is equivalent to an Allen Iverson crossover (video references below), you never know which way it is going to go. Erin, my wife, is the only person that I know who can link my disparate ideas.

Last night I began wondering, what do churches do with their old pews? After “doing the Google” on old pews, apparently there is a huge market for repairing and replacing worn out pews.
This got me thinking that our churches are doing a whole lot of sittin’.

I am all for having people in the pews, but wouldn't it be better if Christians had to repair their shoes before the church needed to repair the pews? The church has an attractional, come to us mindset, but the world has a missional, come to us need.

The bible says in Matthew 28:19
”Therefore
go and make disciples.” It doesn’t say to develop another new program and hopefully they will come to us. 

For most people, church consists of about 4.5 – 6 hours a week (Sunday and Wednesday). What are we doing with the other 162 hours? Do we serve our friends, neighbors or co-workers by going to them? Are we active in visitations or hosting a home group? Are we serving in the nursery or greeting guests at the door?

If you evaluate your own life or the church body as a whole, is it pews or shoes? Unfortunately, for most people and churches its pews.

We need to ask God to show us opportunities to serve and witness - then with courage and boldness act upon them.


On a side note:
Our pews (chairs) at First Baptist Jenks are pretty new looking. I think it is because Mark Powell has us stand for most of the service. We don't do the aerobic form of worship service where you are up-and-down the whole time. That would certainly increase the wear and tear. We are more into endurance and stamina.


Some seriously nasty, ankle-breakin' moves. Gotta watch these, even my boy Kobe gets shook.






2 comments:

The Sezate's said...

What a great point. Kind of the same logic as me telling God I'll share my faith with someone if they'll come into my closet where I am hiding.

Kind of sad that you mention that. On a deep note - would this be the reason why people don't like Christianity....besides the other reasons???

Solid post man!

Raining Manna said...

Thanks man. Love the closet analogy. Most Christians attend church like it is a closet. Unfortunately, they leave their Christianity at the door on their way out and pick it up the next week on their way in. The world never sees Christ in their lives.